Many patients visit the dentist on an as-needed basis, to care for a bad toothache or repair a tooth broken in a dental accident. However, preventive dental care is much more effective at treating oral issues because it can prevent them from occurring in the first place. By scheduling routine dental appointments, you can protect your oral health from coming to harm by treating the early stages of conditions.
Dental checkups are recommended twice a year, occurring every six months so that your smile can benefit from professional dental exams and cleanings. Patients who are susceptible to harmful conditions due to weakened oral health may need to visit the dentist more frequently. Following a thorough cleaning of your teeth and gums to eliminate plaque, our dentist can detect symptoms of cavities, loss of tooth enamel, gum disease and even oral cancer.
The following situations: are conditions that should be addressed at our dental office as soon as possible:
– New developments of texture or color in areas such as the gums and teeth
– Periodontal bleeding resulting from oral care such as brushing and flossing
– Bad taste or odor in your mouth that isn’t reduced by cleaning
– Loose or shifting teeth or changes in the feel of your bite
– Being diagnosed with a condition or an illness or taking new prescription medication for an existing condition
By caring for your oral health now, you can maintain your natural smile without the complication of poor oral health. We encourage you to contact Prehn Dental Offices at 715-842-1270 today if you have any questions for Dr. Frederick Prehn or need to schedule your next dental checkup in Wausau, Wisconsin.